Thursday, June 24, 2010

Kiersten's Peace

I find peace when I'm in hot yoga - and it's not just because of the cheesy yoga talk, or the zen-like attitude. It is way more than that. It is one of the most relaxing activities I do that also provides an opportunity to build a healthier and stronger body. It also brings insight on how my body works, balances, and functions. Yoga is the ultimate teacher of self-awareness, ultimately opening one's eyes to others.

"Hot Yoga" just means you do it in a really hot room and you sweat your face off. You leave feeling so fresh despite all the sweat dripping down your bod.

The studio I attend has managed to also make yoga a more athletic experience. I have never seen my body so toned until I started doing yoga with this studio. Every posture builds to the next, building long lean and toned muscles.

My favorite pose currently is called (in english - not sanskrit) "Pigeon" and it targets hips - and with all the running I do I need hip openers. I love pigeon, it is a simple posture but allows you to unwind and breath fully while feeling a slight pain... This is my peace!

This is what it looks like:
















Posture taken from Yoga Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment