Monday, July 12, 2010

Tosh vs. World Cup




The World Cup succeeded at bringing the world together over one common sport "football"... or I guess it's "soccer"?? Whateves, even I was sitting out on the patio of our local sports bar watching my little Netherland get slammed by the Spanish. I blame that psychic octopus in Japan, Paul that little game ruiner!. I really can't believe Octopus Paul predicted 8 correct outcomes of this years World Cup.??!! According to my bf and bestie octopi have a pretty narely brain chemistry. As if. 

Anyways Paul's not the reason for my post it's Daniel Tosh's rant "Soccer Is Stupid" and how it totally changed my respect for soccer itself. First of all Daniel Tosh is the face of Tosh.0, a late night comedy central show on funny stuff he finds on the web. Tosh puts a sarcastic, racially charged, macho-man lens on almost anything he finds. Even as a girl interested in feminism and equal rights, I'm always left in stitches by his commentary, and dry humor. Plus he's sort of a cutie with a booty..

His latest epi contained a number of witty comments on random internet links, including one on soccer - in lieu of the World Cup. As a result, I was totally left feeling passionless about the game - it really is an unnecessarily long game and the probability of actually winning is zero, and it's just these  scrawny dudes skipping along an open field. Not to mention my only memory of soccer was my Dad pulling me out on the field in a jersey and turtle-neck, crying about the goal I had scored on my own team. I'm destined to have no love. It seemed as my friend's and I watched the game yesterday we could only come up with the same negativity, yet hilarious comments on the field of play - the abundance of yellow cards, the bias of the ref, and how the dutch missed two of the most important goals they had handed to them. Too bad orange.

There were a few highlights for me from this year's World Cup: 

1. My very Dutch ex-body builder mother's frequent phone calls about moving furniture around the house so she could have better visibility of the T.V. and the game. Oh and also that she was breaking her clean eating to have a beer! Watch out, someone's living on edge....

2. Shakira closing the World Cup Ceremonies in Roberto Cavalli - sooooo hot and two things to love a lot in life. 

3. The blog zap2it.com's gallery of World Cup babes

4. Paris Hilton's drug arrest at the World Cup. Her pot charges were later dropped. Major lols. I love Paris Hilton - I wonder if her plea was a good as Ms. Lohan's. Ironic their drug charges both happened in the same week?? No?  

5. Proudly wearing the colour orange - in crop top form no less! 

No comments:

Post a Comment